Collaborate to Educate Ours Sons (CEOS) is pleased to announce its 2019 Essay Contest for scholarships for the 2019/2020 Academic year. At least four scholarships will be awarded to freshmen, sophomore or junior males in High School, Vocational School, College and/or Seminary. Two of the four scholarships will be exclusively for African Americans. These scholarships are for tuition support to assist young men to achieve their goal of graduation from college/seminary.
Entrants must be young men in high school, vocational school, college/seminary who are sophomores, juniors or seniors.
In 1,000-1,250 words, write an original essay discussing the themes in one of the following topics:
- For all, the efforts that have been expanded to integrate our society, we continue to experience racial unrest and a depreciation of cultural diversity. What would do to alleviate this plague, build bridges of understanding, foster peace and enhance cooperative relations among all people groups? How can institutions of higher learning help in this process?
- If you were called upon to give a speech to the United Nations concerning the current world situation, what issues would you address, possible solutions would you offer and special recommendations for world peace would you make? Be very thoughtful and imaginative.
- There has been much debate surrounding global warming. Some call the underlying research supporting it pseudoscience while others see it as strong scientific evidence. How would you argue this topic? Is it an ethical impasse? Is global warming a global dilemma that is real and that all have an obligation to address or is it an attention catching alarm that is fake that all should ignore as a liberal overreach? Take a position and thoughtfully defend your position.
- There has been an increase in hate crimes and crimes involving the use of firearms. At least 15,549 people were killed by guns in 2017 according to data collected by Gun Violence Archive (GVA) compared to 12,975 in 2016. It should also be noted that more people have died from gun violence between 1968 and 2017 then died in all US Wars. As a young person, how do you feel about these issues? How would you address gun violence and if you had the opportunity to speak to the President and the congress, what would be your recommendations?
- Some see a divide between millennials and adults over 35. What do you think is the reason for this? What are the dis-advantages to its continuance? Why is it prudent for these generations to effectively communicate? What bridges of understanding would you erect to address the problem?
HOW TO ENTER
- Essays should be submitted via email in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) format by 11:59pm EST on August 15, 2019, to: email@example.com.
- The 2019 essay winners will be notified in mid-October 2019 and will be printed in the CEOS Newsletter thereafter
- Prizes will be awarded on October 13, 2019.
- Please visit the CEOS website at https://www.collaboratetoeducate.org for complete application information and for additional info.
High School Winner: $1275 for Tuition
College Winner: $2000 for Tuition
Vocational Winner: $1500 for Tuition
Seminary Winner: $2500 for Tuition
How to enter
Fill out the registration form including the teacher information. You must include teacher information for your essay will not be accepted.